I would love if ExpanDrive ...

Support Amazon Glacier

It would be great if ExpanDrive would work as an Amazon Glacier client. Any possibility of that?

67 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PaulPaul shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael ThwaiteMichael Thwaite commented  · 

I don't think that this is practical - as Nagano Nanu commented, Glacier isn't a disk system it's really a 'Tape based' system so, it really wants to see data transferred and restored in chunks. Also, the cost to restore data would be crushing!

• D. KlaverD. Klaver commented  · 

I currently use Arc from Haystack Software to store items on Glacier. I am new to ExpanDrive which I obtained via the MacUpdate bundle, I would also like to see Glacier support - although I understand that Glacier as an offline long term storage solution, it requires advanced notice for retrieval of data. It would seem that ExpanDrive is being developed for online storage. In that sense Glacier requires submitting a request for retrievals - it seems less suited for the "USB drive" model that ExpanDrive is targeting. One can still hope that the developer receives enough requests and sees the need.

• Naganu NanuNaganu Nanu commented  · 

I don't know how well this would work (if implementation was possible) because of the way Amazon Glacier works (4 hours delay for updates). I give it a -1.

• Bat FungBat Fung commented  · 

I would love to to see this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base