I would love if ExpanDrive ...

Client based transparent file encryption

Optional transparent encryption of files when read/write occurs to connected storage.

I'd really like to see this capability and would purchase several licenses for enterprise users.

Expandrive and Strongsync cover transport encryption but we also need to ensure the endpoint is encrypted and not by the endpoint itself.

576 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    RhosynRhosyn shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MylogonMylogon commented  · 

February has come and long gone. What is the status of this?

• SimonSimon commented  · 

V6 is here. Where's Encryption?

• NitsuaNitsua commented  · 

Please do this. Would be very handy and would be a definite increase in abilities over the competition.

• End UserEnd User commented  · 

This would be a great feature and I look forward to it. Any timeline for a v6 release, or any roadmap plans at all? That should be posted on expandrive.com.

• MoritzMoritz commented  · 

I tought, this would be added to v5 this year, too. Unfortunately, it is not. But there are still 30 days to go, so, dear staff at expandrive, yor product is good and expensive, but please make it even better by adding the widely desired encryption!

• limesparkslimesparks commented  · 

2015 is almost over, I thought this was planned for this year?? Dying for this.

• Ellipsis SixthSenseEllipsis SixthSense commented  · 

It's been a few months since a comment has been made, and we are definitely well into v5. When are we going to see integrated transparent encryption? Between this and Amazon Cloud Drive support being cross platform were the only reasons I upgraded.

• Jeremy StrawJeremy Straw commented  · 

Version 5 has been released and I am not seeing this anywhere in the changelog notes. Is there a timetable when this will be ready?

• FlorisFloris commented  · 

This would be such an awesome addition, especially for those worried about cloud safety / privacy!

As I don't see encryption in the release notes (and figure you would trumpet it if it were in), may I ask in which point update of V5 your hinted client encryption will be coming?

Thanks a lot

• MichaelMichael commented  · 

Please have a look at the Goodsync v9 client side body encryption + filename encryption which is perfect (to me).

• JordanJordan commented  · 

I agree with Chris. This should be compatible with some existing standard, so that I can download a file from my cloud storage and decrypt it myself, if needed.

• ChrisChris commented  · 

(Client-side) file / file-name encryption is definitely a nice-to-have feature, but there are already very good tools to achieve this - please consider using GnuPG and avoid implementing this from scratch (I am not affiliated with them - just a happy user).

It will allow Expandrive to benefit from a well known, and nowadays, well supported strong implementation of file encryption. Rewriting everything from scratch will likely introduce bugs and may make decryption incompatible with other applications.

I guess my point is that the user should be able to decrypt his own files even without access to Expandrive.

Please also include filename obfuscation, not only encrypting the file itself.
        Otherwise just encrypting the names still leave a lot guessing-room about the content of files.

And... What's the roadmap, when in 'next year' does v5 happen? Perhaps by the quarter ;)

• DerpDerp commented  · 

Also it'd be great if you used a standard format like EncFS for the encryption so we can integrate with existing Android apps and such.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

I strongly agree - also you have the same request elsewhere under a different name - which is to say, it is actually the top ranked suggestion. I would be willing to help to do this!

Feedback and Knowledge Base